Whoever says managing a WordPress blog is hard work has not discovered the secret to adding a new user yet. As an administrator, you have the option to invite users to your WordPress site and assign them to any of the 4 different roles: administrator, author, editor, and contributor, all of which have different access rights.
As admin, you have full and complete ownership of the website and there is no limit to what you can do. You have complete power over the post and pages, settings, themes, plug-ins, comments, users, the works. You also have the right to delete everything, so make sure you use your powers wisely. There should also only be one admin unless you fully trust someone to have complete access and rights to your WordPress site.
An author has control over their personal contributions, but nothing else. They can edit, publish, and remove their posts. They can also upload images or files that are essential to their work.
The editor is a step up from the author, as they can do pretty much what the author can, as well as work on any of the posts or pages on the site. They can also manage categories, tags and links, moderate comments, and upload images or files.
Contributors can edit their posts but cannot publish them. Before their work can be published, it must be submitted to an administrator for review and approval. A contributor also cannot upload files or images.
How to Add New Users
- From your WordPress admin, go to users and click Add New.
- Fill in the required parameters, including the password. To inform the new user about the assigned password, check the box “Send this password to the new User by email.”
- From the drop-down menu, select the roles that you want to assign to a particular user.
- Once you’ve added the user, he or she will receive an email that contains the password and login instructions. Once in, the user can change their password and profile information.
Switch a User’s Role
- From your WordPress admin page, head to User then click All Users.
- Locate the name of the user you wish to change, then check the box next to the avatar
- Through the “change role…” drop-down menu, select the new role you want to assign, and then click Change.
Of course, there will be no people to assign different roles to if there are no users. So you might need to invite people to become an author, contributor, or editor.
Send an Invitation
- From your admin page, move your cursor to Users, and then choose Invite New.
- In the space provided, type the email address or the WordPress name of the person you want to invite.
- From the drop-down menu, select the role you want that person to fill.
- Click Send Invitation.
Once a user accepts your invitation, they will be able to access your WordPress blog through the MyBlogs section on their own page.