Managing multiple social media pages is just one of the many challenges that a business owner or marketer has to face. The good news is it doesn’t have to be a one-man show. Managers can be assigned to oversee the pages and ensure that access is only provided to the right person(s).
But before you can add or remove a manager on Google+, you must understand some things first.
Google+ has three different types of admins:
- Page owner
- Page managers
- Communications manager.
What are the differences?
There is only one Google+ page owner, which, by default, is the one who created the page.
Page owners are responsible for many tasks:
- Invite and/or remove managers
- View manager roster
- Delete a page
- Transfer ownership to a new owner
- View and adjust page settings
- Edit profile
He or she must also take actions on behalf of the page.
Such actions include:
- Post to customers
- View insights
- Respond to reviews
- Manage Hangouts on Air and YouTube videos.
Up to 50 managers can be added to a Google+ page and their roles are limited to the following:
- View manager roster, such as the email addresses of the managers that were invited by the owner
- View and adjust settings of Google+ page
- Take actions on behalf of the page such as editing circles, posting content, and editing page profile.
While the owner can add or remove managers, the page manager can only remove himself.
Communication managers are on the third tier in the hierarchy of Google+ admins. They can do pretty much any action on behalf of the page, except:
- Add/remove managers
- Edit profile
- Delete account
- Manage videos on YouTube and Hangouts on Air.
Add a Manager on Google+
- Log into your gmail account, then navigate to the Google+ pages section or visit https://plus.google.com.
- In the drop down menu on the left, select “pages”.
- On the Google+ page where you want to add the manager, look for the “Manage This Page” button and click on it.
- Click on the “gear” symbol that is found in the upper right corner of the page, then click on Settings. Also, found in the drop down menu on the left side of the screen.
- On this page, look for the Managers tab and click on it.
- Click the Add Managers button and type in the email address of the managers that you want to add. Click “OK” to complete the process.
In the event that you want to remove a manager, simply follow steps 1 – 4, then click on the “X” found next to the name.
For the newly assigned manager to have admin rights, they must first accept the invitation that will be emailed to them. Otherwise, their name will be “grayed out” from the page manager’s view on the admin page. He will also have restricted access to the Google+ page assigned to him. If he already accepted the invitation and the name is still “grayed out,” double check if you used the right email address. It must be the same as the one used for his Google+ account.
Adding a manager in Google+ is pretty straightforward, but a page owner must first know how to give permission before proceeding further, as this will avoid confusion.